Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My Chicago Bucket List - Spring 2015 - Part I

Okay folks, I have decided that as from today winter is over. Officially.
Temperatures are climbing, we have set our clocks to Daylight Saving Time, the skies are blue and my hibernation is finally over. Enough reasons to throw a barbecue, go for a walk without the never elegant snow boots or the depressing thermal underwear that makes you feel at least 10 pounds heavier than you actually are, or just be euphoric about the sun and .  Trust me: spring definitely IS here!

And that calls for a Chicago Spring 2015 bucket list!

*  Attend at least one Chicago Fire soccer game 




This was on my fall bucket list as well and guess what: I did it and it was a great experience, even though it was quite a boring game (0-0) against Montréal Impact, and Americans still consider it a girls sport: we are Europeans and we love it. You can find the Chicago Fire schedule online, so if you're in Chicago and want to join us: the more the merrier!






* Try as many food trucks as possible 


(c) Chicago Food Truck Fest
While working on my next big project (more news on that later this week), I discovered a great website which I decided to share with you all: The Chicago Food Truck Finder. On this website you find most food trucks and the location they can be found. I love the idea!
And there is of course Chicago Food Truck Fest: not to be missed! The date remains to be announced, but news is posted on a regular basis on the event's Facebook page.
I think it is about time that the city does something about all these - sometimes stupid - food truck rules. This is one of those things they should promote instead of making it hard for all those creative entrepreneurs ...  Are you reading this Mr E

* Discover as many Chicago neighborhoods as possible 

This wonderful city has 77 neighborhoods and the plan is to discover every single one of those. It would be a little optimistic to say I want to discover all of those neighborhoods this spring (or this year) but a girl can only try, right?

*(finally!) Buy a bike and use it as often as Chicago weather will permit me 

(c) Choose Chicago 
When I was still living in Antwerp - which seems such a long time ago already - I depended on my bike to take me all around town. I really want to start biking here as well, since one of our mayor's goals is to make Chicago America's most bike friendly city. And we are well on our way according to Bicycle Magazine. In 2010 Chicago was in 10th place in their biannual ranking of the US 50 most bike friendly cities, in 2012 we moved up tot number 5 and last year we took 2nd place, after New York which is still number one. I wonder if we can take the lead next year. For those interested: you can find a ton of information on Chicago's bikeways on the city's department of transportion's website.  Chicago Bike Week is June 12 - 19th. But I won't wait that long to get my new set of wheels, since we have a great bike shop only three blocks from our place. Kozy here I come!


* Wine & dine outside whenever I can 

This spring I want to find out all about patios, terraces, outdoor dining, beer gardens, .... in this beautiful city. For over ten years I have been working from home.  Working from home has its perks, I am available for breakfast, lunch, drinks (almost) anytime :-)




* to be continued * 






2 comments: