Monday, October 26, 2015

UNIQLO - from Tokyo to Chicago



UNIQLO opened its first store in 1984 in Japan and currently has more than 1,600 stores worldwide. 42 of those are situated in the US> Before the opening of this amazing Chicago flagship store, I had only visited the San Francisco store where I was amazed by the variety, quality and prices. You can imagine how excited I was to be one of the happy few to get a sneak preview last week, before the official opening. 



1000 people waiting 
TV crews
©Leentje De Leeuw 
Long waiting lines
© Leentje De Leeuw 
While almost 1000 people were waiting outside, I could the store with tv crews of NBC, Fox and ABC. 
There sure was a lot of media attention and I must say that the PR people were just as nice to this Belgian blogger as they were to the 'big guys'. No complaints there. However: I was a little disappointed by the fact that we didn't get a chance to shop Friday morning. I did get an invitation for the party/shopping event on Thursday night, but I had other professional commitments, so I will have to back some   other time to do my actual shopping. On my list: the inevitable HeatTech, a down jacket, the Star Wars fleece blanket, and probably some cashmere stuff ... 









60 000 square feet & 400 employees 

Mayor Emanuel cutting the ribbon
©Leentje De Leeuw 



But Friday was all about the ribbon cutting ceremony with lots of VIP attendees, including Alderman Brendan Reilly, Billy Dec, Chicago Luvabulls, and of course Mayor Rahm Emanuel who seemed very happy with Uniqlo's 60000 square feet and 400 employees. And who would blame him? 
Besides contributing to the local economy, UNIQLO strongly believes in being active to the communities in which it operates. Prior to the opening, UNIQLO announced a partnership with the Chicago Bulls to foster the non-profit organization After School Matters in addition to the Museum of Science and Industry.










The UNIQLO Chicago Flagship is located at 830 N. Michigan Avenue. 


2 comments:

  1. I have to go soon!
    I became a fan when my brother and Japanese sister-in-law showed me the UNIQLO in Tokyo, years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the details my friend. This event was truly great. I am also going to attend a grand NYE party at outdoor event space New York. My college friends will also meet me there. It would be great meeting them after long time.

    ReplyDelete