Wednesday, January 21, 2015

CHIberia for dummies

Many warned us, even more just smiled when we told them it was going to be our very first winter in Chicago. After having survived some seriously cold days of minus 20 (celsius) we are back at more Belgium like conditions now: cloudy, foggy and temperatures around zero degrees (again: celsius - I haven't been here long enough to use Fahrenheit, don't even know if I EVER will). This means I am not all that desperate for (C)hibernation anymore and I am willing to try to share some of my experiences, tips, and concerns for those who might need them. Chiberia for dummies, part I.



* The outfit * 

I know your mother has taught you well: when it's cold, dress in layers. When it's very cold, use more layers. When in Chiberia: stop counting the layers, just use as many as humanly (and practically) possible. Don't forget to put two pairs of socks and warm snow/all weather boots.
You start with thermal base layer and then continue on building. Good news in the thermal underwear department by the way : Japanese Uniqlo will open a shop in Chicago late 2015.
We strongly recommend a visit to their store. Or webshop. This is high quality low price stuff !


Up next: the shoe department. I bought a pair of Merrell boots at Nordstrom Rack for less than $100. Happy with them, especially since most Chicagoans seem to be wairing Sorel. Except me. And my boyfriend. And my son. :-)



* The make-up* 


Or: the lack thereof. If you use water based make-up you are in for a special treat as you can imagine. My advice: use Bio Oil or plain and simple Vaseline and apply any other stuff only when absolutely necessary...






*The diet* 
Extreme cold always makes me crave for carbs, carbs, and more carbs ... But I lost over 25 pounds in about one year, thanks to my low carb diet. So I try to find alternatives. I really try! I swear I do!




*The work out* 

We  have a gym in our building. Which is great!  I have this gym used exactly one time.
To be honest : I almost used it ... There was this guy working out there and apparently he was in pretty good shape. I said 'hi', and went back upstairs. To have a sandwich. With mayo. Lots of it.


*The distractions*
My boyfriend and I both have the slight tendency towards buying too many books, records and dvd's. We know this is wrong but we simply cannot help it. I used to see more down than upsides but hey: when you cannot leave the house for several days because of that Polar vortex thing: it is a f***ing blessing to have so many entertainment options at hand. Hallelujah!

*The communication* 


Being an iFamily we are kind of addicted to our iPhones, iPads and iMacs. As you may already know battery life of the mobile Apple devices really sucks. And as temperatures drop, battery life drops too. So keep your phone warm, and your charger with you at all times.


*The calendar*

Do not, I repeat: DO NOT look at your calendar too often. April may seem a long time away. And well: it actually is almost three months from now. Which is a VERY long time. Really.


*The humor* 

Humor is a good remedy, often it even is the best one. Keep smiling!
And most importantly: keep warm!










2 comments:

  1. Soo true! Also my first winter as a Belgian in Chicago. Warned so many times by the locals we were really scared. So far, I even like it better than the Belgian winter, thanks to snow instead of rain and more sunny days. We seem to adapt well, 0°c is 'warm' for me, in Belgium they panic.

    The outfit: check! I bought Sorels and have happy feeth until -40° + I wore skipants during the Polar Vortex week
    Makeup: check! Only vaseline, never imagined what the cold can do with hands, feet and lips
    Diet: let's say dinner is at 4.30 when it's cold
    Workout: mmmm, I am supposed to ride on our vintage hometrainer in winter but the den is freezing cold, so nope
    Distraction: Long live Netflix
    Cellphone: failed continuously, I sew him a warm dress, hopefully better next time
    Calender: going to Mexico in February, in order to survive our first winter (as it lasts til April)

    Warm hug from me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see your comment until today. Warm hug back! Btw: we will survive by being friends and do fun stuff together!

      Delete